After the war years, all of Finland got to enjoy opera and ballet performances on the Finnish Opera’s extensive summer tours. Summer tours took place every year from 1945 to 1967.
The decades of internationalisation that followed World War II brought guest stars to the Finnish Opera Ballet from many of the world’s leading ballet companies. Despite the Cold War, top talents from the east and west came together every spring at an international ballet festival in Helsinki.
Soon after the wars, the ballet started its visiting performances abroad. The first visit to the Royal Ballet and Konserthuset of Stockholm took place as early as 1946. The following year, a smaller troupe visited Denmark and Norway, and in the 1950s touring intensified further.